I've been reading Teen Titans only because of the crossovers with the Outsiders and figured I'd get this one, too, because of the Crisis tie-in and because it's the last one before OYL. Let's just chalk that decision up to poor judgment on my part.
I figured, okay, it's guest-starring Nightwing. I like Dick Grayson, a lot, second only to Roy Harper. So how bad could this be. Especially since Wolfman and Johns were on writing chores. So what went wrong?
- First, there was the lack of an actual story. Nothing really happens in this. Not a thing.
- Then there's the art. It's decent enough, but those tiny mouths make all the characters look like they're pouting.
- The alternating thoughts of Conner and Dick. Conner's, red on black, were nearly unreadable, even on the slick paper. And after a while, it started reminding me of a romance novel. I was surprised when I got to the last panel, and Conner and Dick didn't kiss. Or at least, hug really tight.
- I didn't need to see Dick's old NW suit. Really.
- There was the bit with Cassie and Ares. I guess that was plot development. But not having kept up with all the Greek gods in the DCU these days, I would've thought Ares would've been more god-like, especially in appearance. He just looked like a surfer dude.
- And finally, "this is where everything changes." Y'think?