Thursday, March 09, 2006

Teen Titans 33

I was raised to not saying anything if I didn't have something nice to say. Fortunately, for you nice readers, I don't always follow that advice. So I'm ready and very willing to tell you about this poor excuse for a comic book.

I've been reading Teen Titans only because of the crossovers with the Outsiders and figured I'd get this one, too, because of the Crisis tie-in and because it's the last one before OYL. Let's just chalk that decision up to poor judgment on my part.

I figured, okay, it's guest-starring Nightwing. I like Dick Grayson, a lot, second only to Roy Harper. So how bad could this be. Especially since Wolfman and Johns were on writing chores. So what went wrong?
  • First, there was the lack of an actual story. Nothing really happens in this. Not a thing.
  • Then there's the art. It's decent enough, but those tiny mouths make all the characters look like they're pouting.
  • The alternating thoughts of Conner and Dick. Conner's, red on black, were nearly unreadable, even on the slick paper. And after a while, it started reminding me of a romance novel. I was surprised when I got to the last panel, and Conner and Dick didn't kiss. Or at least, hug really tight.
  • I didn't need to see Dick's old NW suit. Really.
  • There was the bit with Cassie and Ares. I guess that was plot development. But not having kept up with all the Greek gods in the DCU these days, I would've thought Ares would've been more god-like, especially in appearance. He just looked like a surfer dude.
  • And finally, "this is where everything changes." Y'think?
So many books are going out with a whimper, not a bang, pre-OYL. What a shame.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:17 PM EST

    I can't think of a book in recent memory that dropped so quickly from a "must-read" to a "no thanks" to me.

    It's like they lost all momentum during that excruciating Simone-Liefeld 2-parter, and just haven't been able to find their way since.

    Not even bringing back Captain Carrot worked in this book's favor. I'll try the first 1YL issue, but this book is really on the brink for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought this issue was a waste of paper. ;)

    I'll probably read the first OYL issue, too, as I'm trying to do that with most books, same as I did for the last pre-OYL issues.

    ReplyDelete