Monday, July 21, 2008

If it Ain't Broke, Don't Change it!

Was checking the DC Comics site for this week's comics (which I always do to see if there are changes) and to see if the new solicits are up for October (they are) and found the site's in the midst of being redone. DC has a nice, clean white background, but Vertigo and Wildstorm have not yet been changed, nor has DC Direct. I didn't see any place to leave feedback on the site (nothing under Contact Us seemed to apply), so I'll rant here.

I always print out the new month's solicits to use as a shopping list. The whole thing wouldn't print. I had to copy and paste into WordPad after two failed attempts. There seems to be no easy way to switch from one line to another for each month the way you could/can in the old format. The site might look spiffy, but it's less usable, IMO, which to me is a poor reason to make changes. Change should included ease of use, improved navigation, etc, not just fancy layout and a new color scheme/design. feh.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:57 AM EDT

    Temporary solution: Hit the print screen button, ctr+v on MS paint, then print it.

    Or if your LCS has a website, ask them to have a weekly list shiplist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with what DC has done with their homepage. Yes, Batman is hot right now, but DC offers many more products than just Batman-related ones! There's nothing like a Web site that makes it difficult to access information about the items their regular customers are looking for. :-\

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want a weekly shiplist. I want the DC list. That's my choice. I don't have MS Paint. Actually, you can print screen into many programs, including WordPad, Word, Wordperfect, Photoshop, etc.

    Print Screen just gets what's on the screen, not the entire list the way copy and paste does. So basically, since it all isn't on the screen at a time, and I can copy it all in one try, your way adds many steps, probably one per week, if not more.

    No thanks.

    DC needs to do what other sites do. Have a printer friendly version and a button to click to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's exactly it, SofG. I switched over to this nice inline commenting as soon as Blogger announced it because it makes it easier for people to comment. Change should make things easier, not harder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There seems to be a lot of format change lately. I'm still getting used to the Newsarama changes, and I'm not thrilled at all.

    I don't really see the need for change, just for the SAKE of change. As a creature of habit, it makes me cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and me both, Sally. If I can't immediately see the wonderfulness of the change, then I don't want it. ;)

    Then again, I sometimes get bored and change my blog templates. But I love this one too much and won't til I find something I like better. But I won't change where things are, unless it's to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete