Saturday, April 18, 2009

Quickies

I think I have too many interests. That would explain why I fall behind with everything. So, here are some quick thoughts on a few comics from the last two weeks.

Secret Six 8
Another steller issue. Worth it alone for the cover with Lawton at knife point. The change of pace socialization was well done and the Ragdoll backup was adorable.

Booster Gold 19
More goodness, with double Booster. And poor Michelle. I fear Booster might lose his sister again, for good.

Battle for the Cowl 2
If that really is Jason posing as Bats, I really wouldn't mind seeing him die again. That beating and stabbing of Tim was uncalled for. And Tim is better than that. Artwise, Tim was just plain off. He's supposed to still be a teen, right? In some panels, he looks as beefed up as Jason, if that really is him, or even Dick, especially in that last panel with the batarang sticking out of his chest. Just because he's wearing the uniform doesn't mean he's suddenly a mature man. Or is he wearing padding, which would help that wound not be fatal. Dick was fine in this, but this is not making me suddenly want to buy all the Bat books, even if Dick does become Bats after this mini-series is over. I'll have to think long and hard if I want to read about Dick as Batman.

Oracle 2
I'm really enjoying this. Some cliche bits -- the thugs trying to mess with Babs played out predictably, and the geeks are appropriately geeky -- but Babs, her cover cleavage angle notwithstanding, is a strong force here.

Green Arrow and Black Canary 19
Not awful, not great, just so-so, average, run-of-the-mill storytelling. I'd hope for more from this book. At least Judd wrote fun dialogue. I'd hoped for something like Nick and Nora Charles from the Thin Man. This is more generic superhero married couple. Except that Dinah is getting on my nerves here.

The Spirit 27
A few people have said this is better, if not quite at the top level when Cooke was doing it, so I gave it a try, in the middle of a story, as it turns out, but it was better. The story has real weight and the art is fairly nice. I'll wait a bit before I put it back on my pull list, but I'm happy to see the improvement.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about Green Arrow and Black Canary. Dinah IS becoming annoying, and I miss her from BoP.

    I didn't get Oracle, because my beloved comic books store didn't get Oracle. Hopefully, next week.

    But Booster and Secret Six were both fabulous.

    ReplyDelete