Thursday, March 18, 2010

New Team for Power Girl

I have reservations about this announcement on DC's Source. Sami Basri, the artist, is new to me. The preview cover looks nice, but PG doesn't look like PG. A minor problem, because even Amanda Conner's version didn't look like the more realistic PG art we saw in JSA. It's the writer, Judd Winick, who's giving me reservations.

I have enjoyed many stories Judd has written. He did a nice job on Kyle Rayner, GL, and his work on Green Arrow was decent and often good. If it's a character he has a real affinity for, he can write a good story. It's all the other ones who give him problems. I have no idea if PG is someone he can write.

I really hate new directions every time a new team takes over. I understand it; every creative person want so do their own thing, write or draw things their way, put there own spin on things. And when a new team takes over after 2 years or longer, it can make things feel fresh and exciting. But 12 issues? Palmiotti had barely finished setting things up and now we're getting serious changes? I wasn't reading comics during the whole PG in JLI era, so that means nothing to me, so tying her storyline into that does nothing for me.
...the latest chapter in Power Girl’s life finds her inching closer to her former JLI teammates...

“It is with GREAT fear and excitement that Sami and I leap into this gig. Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, and Amanda Conner have bought an amazing, fresh, and inventive rebirth to this character. Our greatest challenge will be to remain faithful to what they’ve created and also take Power Girl to a new place. As far as the course that the story will take, I’ll be uncharacteristically forthcoming : The story is tied to JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST. Not CHAINED to it, but tied. Power Girl has a history with the JLI that will be explored. A lot.” (said by Judd Winick, I assume)


I'm sorry, but this doesn't excite me. I want to see a continuation of what we were getting, with Karen balancing her work at her company with whatever new threats the new team can come up with. Then, after another year or so, have a natural progression into new territory for her if that feels right. But this constant change every year, especially when trying to establish a new book is, IMO, counter productive. Usually.

In the case of the current version of Supergirl, it was a must. The reboot of the book sucked and drastic measures were needed. Better stories. Better or rather, more suitable, art. Tying Kara more closely to the Superman family. But there were no problems with the Power Girl book. It was fun, with an interesting dynamic that was only beginning to be explored. Is Judd going to keep Terra around as Karen's friend? Could he even write her and the friendship at the level both deserve?

I started writing a whole stream of consciousness about the way characters are treated over the years. I thought perhaps more female characters get reworked more than the males, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. But some females, especially Wonder Woman who has had her role change with each creative team, seem to be written more inconsistently than others, and I would hate to see that happen to Power Girl. I expect differences between their roles in team books than in their own books, but not in their own book from year to year.

I hope Judd does well by Power Girl. I love the character and want only what's best for her. But I'm not counting on it.

1 comment:

  1. I find myself torn. I've been loving every minute of the current team on Power Girl, so I am quite dismayed by their imminent departure. Like you, I'm not familiar with the artist, but I can live with that.

    Winick gives me fits sometimes. When he actually is interested, he does pretty well. But I get the feeling sometimes that he's embarrassed by Super Heroes, and doesn't necessarily give them his best effort. He also seems to lose interest fairly quickly, which can be a good or a bad thing, depending upon how you look at it.

    I'm willing to give it a try...but with certain reservations.

    ReplyDelete