Monday, May 21, 2012

Coming Out of the Closet

So DC is going to make an established, supposedly iconic, character gay in a storyline starting next month. I applaud the decision and I think we'll see one of the male characters come out because we already have a fairly well known lesbian in Batwoman/Kate Kane.

Will it make me want to read a book I'm not currently reading? I doubt it, because I still have problems with the new reality. It's just new for the sake of change/mixing things up. I don't see that it's radically new or different than the same old same old that predated the new DCU. And as welcome and needed as this move is, it doesn't negate how little respect female characters get in relation to the male ones or how little respect female readers and older readers get. I'm not the demographic they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment