Monday, October 29, 2012

Actual Comic Book Reviews

I know! I can't believe I'm posting these, either. I'm going to try to make a concerted effort to catch up. I can't believe the amount of unread comics and gns I've got sitting here.

Nightwing 12, 13, and 0
The art continues to be one of my favorite things about this book, keeping the realistic, mature look for Dick. Dick's personality is pretty much unchanged from the old DCU, thankfully, and the hints of things to come with Sonia are intriguing. To be honest, I could do without the visits from Batgirl. This is not the Barbara Gordon I know and love and she and Dick lack chemistry now which makes her appearances here seem forced and unnecessary, there only to keep them tied together in the Batverse. feh.

I did love the origin for Dick in issue 0. It's essentially unchanged from his old origin, with more realistic touches, especially the reasoning for why he ends up with Bruce and how he becomes Robin. It being something he takes on rather than Bruce pushing him into such a dangerous role removes the bits that were questionable in past versions that bordered on child abuse.

World's Finest 5 and 0
I'm enjoying the adventures of Earth 2 Huntress and Power Girl, even if they aren't the same versions of the original Earth 2 characters. Issue 5 had fill-in vibes, with 2 separate and small adventures for each and George Perez' art framing main story art by Jerry Ordway(!) and Wes Craig/Serge lapointe (neither of whom I recognize but their art was nice). Their origin stories in issue 0 were nice and I love Kevin Maguire's art. This is not a great book, but it is a fun one.

No comments:

Post a Comment