Thursday, April 18, 2013

Three Reviews and a WooHoo!

Batwoman 19
A lot of little things add up to setup for the next issue and, I suppose, beyond. Nice byplay between Bette and Kate. But, like Bette, I am getting very tired of the DEO and Bones.

Nightwing 19
I wasn't sure how I felt about Tony Zucco being alive and Dick going to Chicago to hunt him down, but so far, this is going well, as in not at all well for Dick in a city as corrupt or moreso than Gotham and where costumed crimefighters are suspect at best. Dick is usually at his best when pushed to his limits and beyond, but really, the guy deserves a break or two, maybe even a relaxing vacation.

Red Hood and the Outlaws 19
Oh boy.James Tynion IV takes over the writing with this issue in what he promises is the beginning of a story arc that will threaten to pull the team apart and deal with some heavy issues in their lives and I'm happy to say this issue, one half of a two-issue story and setup for what's to come, really delivers. Still reeling from being kidnapped and tormented by the Joker and Damian's death, Jason returns to the home of the All-Caste and makes a decision that, well, let's just say that when Kori and Roy show up -- because no way they're leaving Jason on his own -- they're in for a real shock. Roy gets to expresses his fears early on re: Jason's importance in his life:
"These last few months working with the two of you... ...It's the first time in years my life has been worth living. We're good together. It can't be over. I won't let it be."
Now, seriously, this is the writing of someone who gets Roy, in any reality, because at his core, for all his surface confidence, even arrogance, Roy has big self-esteem issues and insecurities. I am really looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds over the next few months.

And now the WooHoo. From reading many other comics blogs today, I learned it was the 75th anniversary of Action Comics 1, the legendary comic that brought Superman and Lois Lane into the world. Lois was one of my first favorite comic book characters, all the way back to 1960 when I became a regular comics reader. Here's to another 75 years and I hope she and Clark/Superman get together in the current reality, even if I'm not reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment