Saturday, February 10, 2007

New Supergirl Artist

Okay, so this might not be as awful as I'd feared. I did not like Ale Garza's art on the Teen Titans/Outsiders Graduation Day. I thought Donna in particular looked ugly. But these sketches are pretty nice. He had this to say about Kara on his MySpace:
"so i thought id go into my new girl here...kara...that is...i know that there are a lot of fans out there who hold this character very near and dear to thier hearts...i just wanna go on and say i am one of you! honestly..."
So, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. I can forgive a lot more than many readers, apparently, so if I'm getting impatient, things must really be bad. heh. But I want Supergirl to succeed. I want any female superhero title to succeed. We have Wonder Woman who's been rebooted so often, my head spins. We have Birds of Prey which needs a group of women to succeed (and one brilliant writer to keep it going). We're losing Manhunter. Again. The DCU needs this book to do well and we all will benefit by its success because then, we might get more.

I know art really affects how a story "feels." I've not liked books with art I didn't like but others loved. What we need is for more people to like the art than not and to be willing to keep reading and let Kelly convince us he's got Kara on the right track. So, here's hoping Kelly and Garza are a perfect fit for each other and for Kara.


No comments:

Post a Comment