Sunday, May 04, 2008

Sunday Quickies

Been busy, behind on my reading, behind on my posting. Had to work yesterday and didn't have enough time to get to Forbidden Planet lunchtime for FCBD. It's okay, though. It's not as if I don't have scores of comics and graphic novels here to read.

Spent some time this week setting up my new laptop and fiddling around with Vista. So far, so good.

So, here's what I've read so far since the last time I posted reviews.

JSA Classified 27
The Wildcat story reached a satisfying conclusion and it's always fun to see Ted and Selina together even for a bit.

Teen Titans Year One 4
Still fun. Poor Aqualad comes across as a total dweeb, but Wally doesn't exactly shine, either. The really come across as real kids.

Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters 8
A satisfying conclusion to this mini-series that's left me longing for another go-round. The book has a political edge that, despite the superheroes and the larger than life enemies, has a scary touch of realism.

Shadowpact 24
The past and future Shadowpacts save this story from being a shadow (heh) of earlier stories, but a lot of the fun of this title has gone.

Checkmate 25
Another story ender. Rucka goes out on a high note. This has been a great run.

DC Universe 0
Not for newcomers, but a nice overview of the DCU and a solid bridge from Countdown to Final Crisis and Final Crisis. The unnamed narrator surprise was all over the media, including the NY Daily News, which fortunately, I didn't read til after I read the issue. And it isn't conclusive as to who the narrator is, though things DiDio has said sure indicate it's.... is there anyone out there who doesn't know? ;)

4 comments:

  1. Ted and Selina together are a hoot. They seem to just work VERY well.

    Teen Titans: Year One is one of my favorite books, and I'm not even much of a Titans fan. Garth is just adorable. It would have been nice to see Roy, though.

    I liked Checkmate, but then I always do. I wish that they'd spotlight Fire a little more.

    A lot of people seemed to hate the DC Zero book, but I liked it. It DOES help to know your DC continuity and stuff, but heck, you can say that for just about ANY book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters is one of the few comics that keeps me coming back to DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:50 PM EDT

    Hey, fellow librarian.
    Found your blog and thought you might help me promote an event this Saturday--and come, too, if you've got the time or inclination.

    Thanks,
    Will Hall
    NYPL, Seward Park Branch.

    The New York Public Library's Seward Park Branch invites you to join comics historian and illustrator Arlen Schumer, whose Silver Age of Comic Book Art won the Independent Book Publishers Award for Best Popular Culture Book of 2003, as he explores the superhero tradition and its changing portrayal of American ideals and values from the Eisenhower years through the turbulent decade of the 1960s. You'll see where Hollywood's current love affair with superhero movies comes from from one of the industry's most astute scholars. Enthusiasts of all ages welcome.


    2 PM, Lower Level

    Saturday, May 10th

    Seward Park Branch

    192 East Broadway, Lower East Side
    (212) 477-6770

    F Train to East Broadway, at the corner of East Broadway and Jefferson St.
    More info: 212-477-6770

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, sounds like a great program, Will. Unfortunately, I can't go, but if anyone else in NY can, I'm sure it will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete