Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Another Reason I'm Not Happy with DC

Superman and Wonder Woman. Together. As in an affair. With sex. That might or might not be seen.

Seriously? This is gonna be the big storyline next up for the new 52? Or as I prefer, the DCnU.  This might excite some people, but for this middle-aged chick who grew up with Superman and Lois Lane and loved the idea that he could and did love a mere mortal woman who none the less proved herself over the decades to be a worthy role model, the marriage of Clark and Lois was the culmination of the great comics romance and when the DCnU broke up that marriage, it was the first sign I was not going to like much in DC Comics, anymore.

I could understand if this is a fling, and after, Supes realizes it'll never work and he goes back to trying to win over Lois and Diana realizes it'll never work because she doesn't need a man permanently in her life. Or something like that. But the love match had been teased even when I was a kid, so I guess it was inevitable that they do it for real.

This disturbed me, though:
"The creative team believes the heroes are right for each other. She’s a mythic Amazonian warrior; he’s a veritable demigod. Both have huge hearts for mankind, yet also feel estranged from humanity. Relationships with civilians are tricky for caped crusaders, even liabilities."
Right, sure. Never mind that Kal/Clark came to Earth as a baby and was raised by Earth humans. (That is still canon, right?) Not to mention that that's all it takes to be perfect for each other. Apparently, something horrible is going to happen in the DCnU next week that will drive them to "seek solace" with each other, because, yeah, that's how the best, strongest relationships develop. When did the DCnU become a soap opera?

And this:
"This isn’t to say that fans will understand or support the hook-up. In fact, Johns and Lee expect some outcry and certainly some debate. Actually, they’re counting on it.  'Hopefully this will raise a lot of eyebrows,' Lee says. “We welcome the watercooler chatter."
Really? That's what's driving DC now? Being controversial, getting people to talk about their comics as if they were TV shows like Dallas or Mad Men? Ok-kay. Well, I never worked with anyone who was a comics reader so water cooler talk was never an option, and I would rather have talked about how good the stories were and the art and not about how bold DC was or how much they were pissing me off. Just sayin'.

I hope this romance doesn't impact Batwoman and Nightwing and World's Finest, the main DCnU books I'm reading.

I am so not the demographic they're looking for or care about. I haven't felt this depressed about DC since they offed Lian Harper.

Y'know, I hope this works for DC. I hope this leads to lots more attention and sales and helps make them a healthy, viable component of the mothership, Warners. I'm just one reader in a decided minority, I guess, and they sure don't need me to be buying 35 or so comics a month, anymore. The 5 or 6 DCs I do buy makes me even less noticeable by them. So be it. I'm not important to them. I got that message years ago.

4 comments:

  1. Oh THIS time it will work! They've only tried this numerous times in the past, but it just doesn't smell right. Not when they are actually written in character anyway.

    I keep trying to pretend that this is all an elseworlds universe anyway, and that someday...SOMEDAY, we'll go back to Reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my feelings exactly. But if we get Reality back, it has to be before Lian was killed and some other nasty business happened.

      Delete
  2. Funny you should mention Lian... I remember that then, too, they tried to spin it positively by saying it created discussion (apparently missing the memo that the discussion was resoundingly negative). At least this is merely a dumb move instead of an infuriating one, which it would have been if the Supermarriage had survived the reboot.

    This is merely the latest proof that DC writing quality has gone from storytelling to fanfiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I've seen other mentions of this being fanfiction over on Tumblr. There are still good stories being written with strong plotting and characterization, but they're no longer the norm. I used to write fanfic, so I know it can be wonderful, but most of it is just dreck and/or wish fulfillment. It's an indulgent kind of writing, and that's what DC is doing, giving in to their childish plot impulses.

      Delete