Monday, June 23, 2014

A Few Reviews

Four this time.

Harley Quinn 7
Ivy has figured out where the threat to Harley is coming from, but who put the hit out on Harley is nothing I saw coming. And neither did Harley. Fun stuff. In a whacked out, outrageous, crazy way. I like whacked out, outrageous, and crazy.

Astro City 13
A single-issue story about a being called the Dancing Master and the lives he changes or affects in a single moment. Good stuff, but that psychodelic cover annoys me, probably because I hate yellow and pink together.

Red Hood and the Outlaws 32
The return of Scott Lobdell to writing chores. I was happy when I read he was coming back to the book, but now, I'm not so sure. I suppose the repetition and reiteration of the relationships will help newcomers to the book, but I really think we're past Jason tuning out Roy and wishing he wouldn't talk so much, yadda yadda yadda. Because it seems that Lobdell is taking the book back to where he left off, rather than moving forward from where the book was just last issue. Not everyone liked Tynion's long story, though I did, but it happened and I hope Lobdell isn't treating it like a dream someone had. The three Outlaws have grown and developed so much over the past year and I want the book to reflect that as it moves on with new stories. As for the actual story, it was okay. I've already forgotten it, though. So, nothing special. And I wish the art was nicer. I don't like the faces in a lot of the panels.

Red City 1
Anything set on Mars is something I have to try and I had high hopes for this, but I don't think it's for me. I'm not thrilled with the art, the lead character leaves me cold, which given he's narrating the book, is not conducive for me to keep reading. A noir mystery set on a Mars populated by humans and aliens; should be fun. Instead, it felt so ho-hum to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment