Friday, February 06, 2015

Big News from DC

So, after Convergence, which I won't be reading, DC will be redoing their entire line again, continuing some comics and starting a bunch of new ones. No longer to be called the New 52, though continuing with that reality, while diversifying and expanding their approach to characters and storytelling. And that sounds great. I just don't know what to make of it, or what I'll want to read.

I'll continue with Harley Quinn, and read Palmiotti and Conner's Harley/Power Girl mini series. And I'll stick with the fun Gotham Academy. But I'm not sure what else I'll try. The new Black Canary might be worth looking at; ditto Starfire. But Red Hood/Arsenal? I was enjoying seeing Roy with Kori, but she, apparently, will no longer be in the book with him, so does that mean they break up? Or are these completely different versions of these characters? I might try the first issue, but really, I'm getting tired of revamps. I can put up with that in the Marvel 'verse because I haven't been reading about those characters for 50 plus years. With DC, I have.

But I do applaud DC for changing their approach. I think at this point, a comic book publisher needs to be looser and more flexible, able to mix things up as readership and society changes, keeping current. This approach is designed to appeal to more women and to younger readers as well as we older folks. So, we'll see how it works out for them. But for me, Image has become my favorite comics publisher and that isn't likely to change any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment