Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Comic Reviews

Comic reviews, but still not all I have here to read.

First up is Champions 1, which SallyP reviewed favorably and said I would like, and she's right! This junior Avengers, or rather, junior non-Avengers title is charming. Featuring Ms. Marvel, who quit the Avengers when she feels the Avengers aren't taking their responsibilities as seriously as they should when it comes to the destruction left in the wake of their rescues, the first issue follows her as she puts together a new team with Spider-Man, Nova (who is new to me), Hulk, and Viv Vision. This is a fun start for a new title.

Lumberjanes Gotham Academy 5 (of 6)
It's looking less likely by the issue that the gang will be able to break free of the stuck in time house, and now they've ticked off their hostess. Plus, Maps has been hurt! I hope there are more team-ups of these two groups after this concludes, because I'm loving it.

Supergirl 2
Kara makes a friend at school, maybe, and deals with her Bizarro dad. The story is meh, but the art sucks. I love Supergirl and want to support this, especially since they're making a sincere attempt to reboot her properly, meaning in a non-sexualized way, but I don't think I can put up with this art much longer. Too many sharp angles on the bodies, long fingers that look like claws, heads that look like carved blocks of wood.... Yuck!

Lazarus 25
While the battle for Western Europe rages on, Johanna tells Forever the truth about her creation as the Carlyle family Lazarus. This book is so damned good.

Superwoman 3
Lena explains her revenge plot to a helpless Lex, while Lana and Steel deal with a power failure. I'm really enjoying this and the art by Lupacchino and McCarthy is really nice.

Action Comics 965
I haven't been reading this, but it features Lois, so I picked it up. I love that they restored its original numbering. Lois goes undercover as this Earth's Lois at the Daily Planet to investigate that Lois' disappearance. I've been looking forward to something like this, and so far, it's as good as I'd hoped.

In graphic novels/collected editions, I read Pretty Deadly volume 2. While it's not as much fun as the first volume, it's still a great story, exploring life and death and war. If you like your comics with a heavy dose of myths, a sense of oral storytelling traditions, and a feeling of parable, you can't go wrong with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment