Thursday, September 06, 2018

Sorta New Reviews

I have been attempting to tackle the stack of unread comics. Dropping Nightwing, which has gotten generic and boring to me, should help. Adding new ones I like isn't helping. And thus, just a few reviews now, and belated at that.

The Life of Captain Marvel 1
This is good. First off, it looks gorgeous, with Pacheco and Fonteriz doing the present-day scenes and Sauvage handling the flashbacks. Dealing with unresolved anger issues, Carol heads to her childhood home where she needs to face her past. Writer Stohl got this title off to a great start. It's been a while since I've wanted to read about Carol.

Catwoman 1-2
Someone is posing as Selina to pull heists, and fresh off her busted romance with Bruce, she's not amused. Joelle Jones is handling story and art and there's both a fresh and throwback feel to classic Catwoman. I'm liking this more than I thought I would.

Adventures of the Super Sons 1
A maxi-series that picks up from the now canceled series, but takes place before the current Superman stories that I'm not reading. Tomasi really knows these characters and has fun with them. I'm really glad DC is doing this book.

Nancy Drew 1-3
I've been reading Nancy's adventures since I was 7 or so. I still have my Nancy Drew books, some of which were printed back in the 1930s and '40s. A couple still have their dustjackets! So I approached this comic with cautious optimism, hoping that Kelly Thompson would not screw up my all-time favorite literary character. Yeah, more a favorite than Supergirl. Jenn St-Onge's art is cartoonish, yet perfect for this reimagined, updated version of "the" girl detective. Bess and George are still around, though George is an out lesbian, and there are fun new characters, too. I hope we get an updated version of Ned, but the addition of Frank and Joe Hardy of Hardy Boys fame is a nice touch. The chapter cliffhangers evoke the books, and the character development is good. This is better than I had dared hope.

Ms. Marvel 33
Kamala's powers are out of control, so while she tries to fight the latest threat, anyway, Bruno tries to figure out what's gone wrong. The usual excellence fromt his title.

Flash 53
The discovery of more forces to go with the speed force has made for an interesting and entertaining storyline.

No comments: