Sunday, October 26, 2008

Some Comics

I've read DC Universe Last Will and Testament twice now and I still can't figure it out. I can't even decide if I like it or hate it. I'm certainly not indifferent to it. I don't think I'll read it a third time, though.

DC Universe Decisions 1-3
Possibly the strangest comics DC has published. I think Ollie and Hal beating the shit out of each other while Dinah refereed was my favorite bit.

Blue Beetle 32
I think I love Jaime's father as much as I love Jaime. Another solid issue.

Trinity 21
Both the main event and the back-up story entertained me. The new order of things is intriguing. The series has slowed at times, but for a weekly, it's been pretty good so far.

Birds of Prey 123
Joker vs Babs was great. And later, when he realized who she is was priceless. Calculator is such a jerk, but fun. I loved him in Catwoman, and he's been as good here. Bedard has really started to click with the Birds.

I also caught up on Criminal, Zorro, and The Lone Ranger. All are excellent. Zorro and the Lone Ranger are super-less heroes who care so much it's almost painful to read. They have very different styles; the former is wordy and eloquent and the latter is sparse and to the point, but both are storytelling at its best. Criminal is a whole different type of story, classic noir. Brubaker makes us care so much for these flawed people and there aren't exactly happy endings here. If the protagonist survives, that's a good resolution. I hated falling behind on these (and Buffy and Jack of Fables, next on the stack), but they demand careful reading. They can't be skimmed, nor should they be read quickly. They should be read slowly and savored for their richness in character and prose. The art is great on all three.

2 comments:

  1. Is DC:Last&Testament, the one where Geoforce whups Deathstroke? If so, then I too found it to be...peculiar. I mean really...Geoforce? It is to laugh.

    DC: Decisions on the other hand, has been a hoot and a half. I refuse to take it at all seriously, because it is just SO ridiculous. And the Hal/Ollie spats have been a whole lot of fun.

    Blue Beetle is still one of my favorite books. It has the strongest supporting cast of practically any book I can think of.

    Trinity continues to entertain me and you can't ask for more than that. I keep getting a little thrill because while not quite as good as 52, it is SO much better than Countdown.

    I loved Birds of Prey. I'm so glad that they brought the Calculator in, because he's a great character. I really do wish they could put Fire and Ice in the Birds of Prey, it would be the perfect place for them. They seem a tad understaffed at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the one. I've never been a fan of Geoforce, and found the whole Geoforce vs Deathstroke to be a rather odd storyline to hang the whole book on.

    And yeah, Fire and Ice in BoP would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete