Friday, December 19, 2008

Comics for a Snowy Day

Trinity 29
Still fun. I like seeing the alternate versions of Donna, Dick, Lois, et al start to realize things are amiss with their world.

Birds of Prey 125
So nice to see Babs and Dinah together again. But much as I enjoy McDaniel's art, I don't like it on this book. Not after such great, more realistic art. But a nice, overall issue.

Terra 4
A nice end to the mini-series and I like Terra's budding friendship with Power Girl. The scenes when PG takes her shopping and out for lunch were loads of fun, especially as drawn by Conner. I had hoped I'd like this mini, and it exceded my expectations.

Supergirl 36
This might've been better if I'd been reading the rest of the New Krypton books, but I'm not. Still, Zor-El's death was fairly moving, as was Kara's reaction. I don't know what's going on with Alura, but even her grief can't excuse her blaming Superman, and to a lesser extent, Kara, for Zor's death. I'm curious about the new Superwoman, and I hope all the good stuff about her isn't in the other books, because I don't want to read them.

Manhunter 37
Okay, this gave me a big WTF? moment. A story from the future? Because it can't be that it's the present and the previous stories were in the past. That wouldn't match with Kate's appearances elsewhere. So, what's the point? Will this tie in with all the stuff left unresolved from the previous issues, mainly the Dylan storyline? It was fun seeing Ramsey grown up and becoming a superhero, and a surprise for him to be gay, but not nearly as surprising as the old guy who is now the love of her life. At least, he looks like he's the one 15 years older. Maybe this is an alternate reality? Things gone awry somehow? I just don't know what to make of it. And with the book nearing the end of its run, I'm really wondering how this will all end and if I'll be happy with it. I just can't decide if I like this or not.

6 comments:

  1. Birds of Prey was ok. Nice to see Dinah again, but Babs does seem to be falling apart a lot lately. I think I prefer her being cool and competent while everyone ELSE is losing their minds.

    Terra was just so darned cute. I didn't even hate Geo-force for a change.

    Manhunter was indeed a little on the WTF side. Although seeing Todd was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Todd's appearance was nice, but I went back to the last issue of Manhunter and it seemed to start a new story, and this seemed to have nothing to do with that, so really, wtf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by Manhunter. Being a fairly new reader to the series I thought maybe I'd missed some backstory that would clear things up, or maybe she had another son somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I'd missed an issue somehow. Even with the "few years later" at the start, it felt weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The old "Flash Forward" device has gotten a little overused for me lately, as I've seen it used on "Lost", "Heroes", "Desperate Housewives" and even on the cartoon "Ben 10" within the last year or so. But Marc Andreyko and MANHUNTER have built up a lot of goodwill with me over the years, so I'm willing to see where he goes with it.

    And maybe Kate's dating Benjamin Button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it was the abruptness of it. The last issue didn't leave off in a place I would've thought would lead to a time jump.

    Benjamin Button, huh. ;)

    ReplyDelete