Thursday, September 17, 2015

Quickie Reviews

I know! It's just one day past New Comics Day! I'm feeling so virtuous.

Sometimes, I wonder if more than one or two people are still reading this blog. I feel like asking for a show of hands.

Anyway, here's what I read last night.

Captain America White 1
Including issue 0. Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale tell a tale from WWII about Cap and Bucky. Other than not having Steve outright recruit Bucky as his partner, as per Ed Brubaker's run on Cap, this is pretty good, covering Cap's guilt about Bucky's death, the consequences of young men -- boys, really -- going to war.

Harley Quinn 20
A send-up of Hollywood, as Harley heads to the west coast to retrieve a young woman being held by a cult, only that's not quite the reality she finds. My only quibble is that Harley seems surprised by people dressing up as costumed characters to pose with tourists. It's a hustle here in NYC, too, so Harley should have known about it. Since authors Conner and Palmiotti moved from NYC a few years ago, they might not be as aware of this as we residents are, since it's been in the news for a while now. Otherwise, a fun book, with a surprising guest star.

The Spirit 3
The intrepid young detectives Strunk and White continue to investigate The Spirit's disappearance in this rather entertaining take on the character.

Shutter 15
This weird book keeps getting weirder. The fierce lion Shaw who has taken Kate's little brother captive has family issues of his own, while Kate, uh, she's on a psychodelic trip. I'd say this book can't get weirder, but it's proven me wrong so many times, I won't say it.

Hawkeye 5
Those creepy kids really are dangerous, even if they can't help it, and that puts Clint and Kate at odds. I'm with Clint this time. The flashbacks are getting a bit repetitious, starting to feel like filler to pad out the story.

Black Canary 4
Wacked-out Maeve is on the run with Ditto, and is turning her over to Amanda Waller! But a mysterious someone rescues Ditto, and I have no idea what's going on, but I'm enjoying this, so what the heck. As with Shutter, I'll just keep reading.

2 comments:

  1. I felt pretty much the same way about Hawkeye. The flashbacks are interesting in themselves, but seem to be taking over the book, and they don't really seem to match up to what is actually happening all that well.

    Or maybe I just can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closest I can see is that the flashbacks show that Clint is usually pressured to go along, first with his brother, then with Kate. Otherwise, they don't seem to match up at all.

      Delete